Monday, August 22, 2005

Old Antalya

I traded in the drunken Russians for drunken Turks, but at least they smile at this new hotel I'm now headquartered at clear on the other side of the bay. When I get more time I will have to tell the story of dragging Elena and Adam, two students from Chechnya, out of my last hotel and into the scary streets of Phaselis where they could use the internet cafe. Ha! These Russians are not so comfortable when it is English that smoothes social interactions.

It is over 100 degrees and I'm sure I've emitted two pounds of sweat today. My internet access is essentially a telephone booth with huffy heavy-breathing Natashas over my shoulder, exasperated with each keystroke. Tomorrow I fly the azure skies with Onur Airlines, whose air distaster rating is thankfully completely unknown to me.

Here are some pictures of Old Antalya and Hadrian's Gate, in honor of his visit to Antalya several million years ago.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Whatever happened with the motorbike?

12:06 AM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

Rented the motorbike for $10, all for the pleasure of being absolutely ravaged by mosquitos and dust. Could find no trouble, just annoying Russians crawling everywhere.

6:40 AM GMT  
Blogger Jon said...

How come you never take any of the "here's me in _________" type of pictures?

8:50 AM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

I long ago adopted the narrator form of travel photography instead of being the subject. Or maybe I'm too scared to give my cell phone or camera to Russians? Or maybe I've been in Las Vegas all summer long?

12:33 PM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

I don't know if you could have made up all those stories from Russia though. Maybe you can find a mirror or a window and take a picture of your reflection for proof. With non-Vegas stuff in the background, that is.

3:28 PM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

As the world's worst photo subject, I say nyet. I find those kinds of pictures kind of annoying really: "Here's me in front of St Basil's Cathedral, Here's me in front of Giant Lenin-Head." It's really not my style - I can barely stand in front of the mirror - so sorry for the crushing disappointment.

My hair is too long, my skin is too dark and my weight is too low. Let's just leave it at that! :)

7:50 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home