Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Siberia in My Rear-View Mirror, Figuratively

The trek across Siberia to its Western edge was not particularly painful though I am happy to finally be here in the Urals, in Ekaterinburg. I hope to see some more of this intriguing city before my energy supplies run too low as I'm feeling a bit tapped out at the moment. And dreadfully homesick, for someone to speak English with, for some good music, for my friends and family. For my overworked empty life back home.

Slogging across vast Russia by train invokes a full ophthalmic-olfactive-aural inwardness that I cannot fully untangle. Chugging, rhythmic sounds, gutteral almost sensual, Russians yelling and talking, laughing and cursing. Living. The constancy of motion while nothing in your immediacy moves, save for a swinging baggage strap or a flower tippling in a vase. The greenery and the suburuban post-Soviet blight take turns whipping by the window. The smells, oh yes, the smells, of fish and beer and meat and coal and sweat. Of humanity. There is serious time bending, hours scream by and creep coetaneously. You look down at your watch, or cell phone, and whatever number pops up digitally is both nonsensical and easily swallowed. The mind shifts down into some other brainwave, like being in an isolation tank. Nightmares are more lucid and crazy and, for the first time, I found myself speaking Russian in my dreams.

My cabinmates were Katya, a very sweet twentysomething from Khabarovsk, on her way to a new job in Perm, though what she did I could not fully comphrehend, just nodding Da when there were words close to what I already knew. I taught her some new words in English and she taught me some in Russian (the word for "bat", for example, translates as "flying mouse" -- when the movie Batman came out here, they called it "Flying Mouse-Man", not the fear-inspiring dread that the directors were aiming for).
In Omsk, Yuri the jurist (pronounced "yur-eest") climbed on, took off all his clothes except his boxers (not an uncommon occurence), and told us dirty jokes, cackling loudly, wild hands gesturing. Of course I understood zero but I laughed, partly at the comedy of the situation but mostly because I did not want to endure the stretched out explanation that kills any joke, no matter what the base language. He could speak no English but we did converse in German, badly. Didn't make the jokes any funnier. After two hours he climbed up into his bunk, passed out, never to be heard from again, except for some funny-to-him noctural outbursts about Americans, requiring him to periodically nudge me with his barefoot, for reasons I never understood.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so do you have a patent for mamprin? you may have a good market for messed up dieters/eaters like yourself. i heart cheese. when was the last time you tried pepper jack? mmmmmmmm DQ. blah blah blah. n=P

8:19 AM GMT  
Blogger Jon said...

When I got homesick in Tibet last year I listened to Radiohead. They're not even my favorite band, but for some reason it was comforting. Maybe the sheer complexity of their music just distracted me from the things back home I was thinking about.

Too bad you've been giving away your CDs...but a good thing for those who are on the receiving end!

8:19 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes jon we all know you went to tibet. that was some poetic writing there rod.

3:34 PM GMT  
Blogger Jaime said...

I only understood about a quarter of the words in that post. I guess we are in the same boat.

5:54 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Rod, you should really write a book. You're an amazing writer.

7:45 PM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

You just have a few weeks left right? You can make it!

8:51 PM GMT  
Blogger Big Dave said...

Thank you for the train ride Rod. I was immediately drawn into the visceral description of your adventure and it made me feel as if I were on your train. I love the characters one encounters while traveling. People you wouldn't otherwise share such intense and enduring time and space with. Some are annoyingly fun to hate and some are amazing and you wish the ride wouldn't end even though there may have been but a few words in common.

Sounds like you need a change of scenery though. I have a feeling you will find more English speakers in Turkey.

D

5:02 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home