Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Woo Hoo, Party Train to Novosibirsk!

From my handwritten journal:

I always figured that going mad would be accompanied by some cool noise, like a massive mental steamwhistle or a snapping twig. Then, just like when the final bell rang on the last day of school, the ensuing berserking chaos that followed would be expected, permitted, and perhaps even enjoyable. But as I lay on plastic upholstery in a smelly lagoon of my own perspiration on this misery train, transported prisoner-of-war-like to the next camp, I am starting to ponder if said snappage has already occurred. When exactly the flashes of crazy were replaced by flashes of sanity I don't know, but I'm laying here, suddenly cognizant that, with all the fun bikini-filled, tan-skinned, sunny blue-skied vistas I could visit on my summer vacation -- I'm in the middle of motherfucking Siberia!
--
The glossy pamphlets they produce for the Trans-Siberian Railroad are wonderfully appealing. Young, impossibly good-looking and short-skirted nouveau riche Russians, sipping white wine, with toasts and laughter, watching as the vast Russian landscape melts into the sunset through the ultraclean window. What you really get: Two dirty-faced little moppets, one barely this side of comatose, staring blankly at her mangy one-eyed stuffed horse; the other, a seemingly inexhaustible supply of pea green vomit. The evercaring father, he of the beer cologne, passed out lifelessly, face down and shirtless, before the train even leaves the station. To add to the merriment is the toothless, miserable ready-to-die babushka who, when not wiping up the unholy discharge from Linda Blair below, glares unblinkingly and androidlike at me (as I write these very words). For visuals, think of the dinner scene in Annie Hall, when the jew-hating grandmother stares holes through Woody Allen.

So unwilling have I been to climb down from this bunk, imagining that I would drop ankle-deep into one of the puke buckets below, that I, in the blackness of night, with over 95% success rate, vacated my bladder into the contents of an empty two-liter bottle (with a painfully small opening). The unflattering and desperate contortions needed for such a maneuver will assuredly land me on a future episode of KGB's Funniest Thermographic Videos.

Epilogue: My lifelong habit of kicking my shorts off in the middle of the night endeared me to none of the passengers in Compartment 8.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I wonder what the people in the bunks underneath you were thinking as they slowly listened to 95% of a deposit into the plastic bottle...

...I also wonder what they were thinking during the other 5%

5:33 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Jon will ever take a picture with his mouth closed.

5:51 AM GMT  
Blogger Jaime said...

Something happy better happen soon. I'm becoming depressed reading your latest blogs.

6:14 AM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

Jaime has a good point. Instead of being envious of you having a great time over there, I'm feeling sorry that you have to endure all these mishaps.... however entertaining they may be.

6:54 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depressed????? I love pisssing in water bottles above peoples heads!

7:34 AM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

Oh don't feel sorry for me, that was just the low glucose level talking. I don't think traveling in a distant culture, where western tourists do not venture, is supposed to be all that fun. I am learning a lot, growing and having a fine old time. Like the US media, I think misery makes better copy and is more fun to read. Good things *are* happening.

8:28 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Between the contents of your two liter bottle and your roommates puke buckets, I can only imagine the odors coming from Compartment 8!

Yoga helps with executing interesting maneuvers in trains.

-Lesley

3:25 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you do live in CA, which is really where everyone else in the world wants to vacation. A vacation somewhere else is bound to be less idyllic. Why not make it Siberia, the one place in the world no one wants to vacation? Somehow that makes a bit of sense.
Have fun and, please, be careful with your remaining Prada. I'm signing off and headed to foggy San Fran and rainy Costa Rica (see, you're not the only one that opts out of the sun).

--Lisa

6:37 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snappage tests:
(1) I have always heard that questioning your sanity is proof that you are still sane - only those who have actually snapped are not questioning it.

(B) The time test - those who have snapped are entrenched in their own temporal hell. Glance at your watch, close your eyes...when you reopen your eyes, the time on your watch should matched your mental clock.

Third, get one of those "not insane" hand stamps. They also make great conversation starters.

Oh yeah...next time you know to plan ahead...buy only WIDE-mouthed beverage bottles.

Eric

9:15 PM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

Like gatorade.

10:21 PM GMT  
Blogger Jaime said...

Go full circle, and get your electrolytes and toilet...in one bottle! Healthy and convenient.

10:58 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home