Sunday, September 10, 2006

Last Day in Tashkent

Last night I went to a club with a fellow hotel guest, Patrick from Holland. He went to school for, get this, Beer Technology and that's now his business, selling and marketing beer in other countries. You would think someone who actually majored in beer would have a better time handling it but after three Baltikas he was an embarrassment, limbs flailing wildly on the dance floor, kissing nearly every man and woman in sight. The morning ending in a drooly stupor. My accursed supermetabolism kept me from even feeling buzzed, which I desperately needed to handle the antics of this Nederlander.

Tomorrow morning early I head to Odessa on the Black Sea. It's been two years since I've been there and I'm looking forward to it. It's really the only destination on my docket that might somewhat qualify as a traditional vacation spot. Last time a Ukrainian visa was needed but, since the Orange Revolution that I unwittingly started, Westerners can now enter visa-free. I'm worried that the place will be overrun by Europeans but hopefully I'm getting there late enough to miss them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that your so-called "accursed" supermetabolism is also what prevented certain disaster last year when you were drugged.

Dave, Jeff and I played some trivia at Frog and Peach on Friday night--we spoke of you fondly (and no, of course we didn't come close to reaching your scores).

Isn't Odessa where you were at a resort and claimed to be "bored" last time? I hope you can stir up some excitement for yourself.

Kathryn

7:02 PM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

No, that was on the Turkish Riviera, down in Antalya. A region, btw, hit by mass three suicide bombings at the same time just about a month ago. Not surprised if it didn't make the headlines back in the States. I'm sure you're all being bathed by nostalgic programs like Countdown to Fear, Recalling the 9/11 Disaster: America in Turmoil, or something like that.

8:26 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home