Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lost in Transliteration

This will be short and uninteresting because I have loud Uzbek/Turkish/Russian rap/rock worming through my ears, sapping me completely of creativity. It's Thursday night here in the capital of Uzbekistan and it is pretty crazy already. Don't these kids know it's a school night???

I'm starting to go stircrazy here. Usually I can find someone from whatever country to talk to but I haven't been able to find the key. And I haven't come across anyone from the West, much less the USA, which is fine enough I suppose. Speaking Russian for a week straight -- badly -- is starting to get to me. At least it gives me time to focus on my first love, writing children's theatre.

I am here until Monday and, sad to say, I think I'm gonna run out of things to write about. I've seen all the sights (and the sites) and I don't have enough time to get a visa for Tajikistan or Kazakhstan, so I'm gonna have to stir up trouble here somehow. I keep visualizing how one of these Uzbek mobster youths would respond to a fistful of sand in their face. Just kidding, mostly.

Of course there's always Baltika 3, the beer of tsars.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave said...

So where are you going next?
When are you coming home?
Writing children's theater?
You are going stircrazy.
Careful now ... I've seen what your're capable of when you get too bored.

See you soon
BD

4:47 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have your heart set on bumping into some westerners I would suggest:

Patricks Pub, Ragu, Juliano's, Mama's, Mir food court, and of course the Caravan Restraunt.

Tashkent Expat web site:
http://www.tashkent-events.info/

How you could manage to get bored in Tashkent is beyond me. I have been here almost 10 years and have yet to have a boring day.

11:20 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home