Saturday, September 02, 2006

Under Cover of Darkness, Tashkent

I can't really go into it just yet but due to some associations I had made in the last 48 hours I was strongly advised to depart the country. I was in no danger except for being held longer than I wanted but no matter. At 5am this morning one of the embassy workers got Kirsten out to London and I followed soon thereafter, taking a double-prop Altyn Air Yak-20 puddle jumper over the mountains and into Uzbekistan. So far Tashkent, the capital, has been pretty impressive, although I have to admit that I slept most of the day in this hotel. After being told to get out within 6 hours, I pulled an all-nighter.

If anyone was really pining for Kyrgyz souvenirs, I apologize, they will have to wait until next time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Dave said...

Dude

You are so lucky ... that you got the goddess-speed blessing from Lesley who had immediately recognized that “cavorting with spies” was asking for trouble. But how could you not be intrigued and drawn in by the drama and injustice of it all … I too have a weakness for the femme fatale.

Obviously there was no time to go shopping for planes to get out of the country so apparently you had to settle for an airplane called an Air Yak? I know these animals are revered in Asia but it’s not exactly an aerodynamic creature.

I’ve read that Tashkent is a very beautiful and fascinating place. As you know Uzbekistan is struggling with how cooperative it wants to be with the Western world – see if you can keep a lower profile eh?

Think stealth
Big Dave

8:08 PM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

As exciting as it is keeping up with your crazy adventures over there, please do try and keep safe. There are people over here who'd like to see you come back.

5:52 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home