Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Multilayered Istanbul

The patchwork of browns, greens and blues that came crashing up through the Onur Airlines window was breathtaking, the jaggy roads still exhibiting the random nonrectangular elements of a non-planned, ancient city. I was, for unknown reasons, in shock to see the towering minarets and giant mosques in person, similar to first seeing the onion domes of Russia or the skyscrapers of New York City. Istanbul, Constantinople, Byzantium -- whatever you want to call it -- this city of 12 million and 5000+ years, definitely makes you feel small.

Twice the capital of the world, home to eye-crossing architectural wonders and ankle-breaking hills, truly straddles the continents of Europe and Asia, geographically and historically. I am walking the same cobblestones trod by Byzantines, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Persians and Ottoman Turks, all of whom have governed this city. The same avenues of historical giants like Constantine, Justinian, Sultan Mehmet, Ataturk. I've never seen so many cultures mishmashed together outside of New York City and, having landed here only ten hours ago, I have heard at least fifteen languages on the streets.

My hotel is sweet, the Blue Mosque in clear gargantuan view from my window and, dare I say, a little too foofy for me. But there's a cat named Kismet, in whose room I am residing, so I'm very happy to have a little black-and-white pink-nosed buddy to sleep with.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so cool!

9:58 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home