Thursday, August 25, 2005

Straddling Europe and Asia, Soon Amerika

Probably my last sitdown at an internet cafe until I get back to the States. I've seen so much though I've not taken as many pictures as I should have. I'm kinda weak on that point. It will probably take two weeks for me to expel all of this smoke from my lungs --I would like this country so much more if there weren't toxic, noxious smoke everywhere. The sound of that little flint in a lighter being struck is now just about enough to send me over the edge of sanity. Snappage is still so very very close with me. Seriously, the smell alone is bad enough but to actually watch putrid billowing fogbanks spewing out of people's pieholes is absolutely sickmaking. If I had that mind-control superpower, Turkey would have a LOT fewer people in it.

I will probably need to reflect a lot more on my time abroad to assemble something meaningful, which I hope to post as some kind of epilogue. It's safe to say that I have just about experienced the full gamut of emotions available in the menubar (except, thankfully, grief). So many cities have I conquered, um, I mean headquartered-in, all different from the next:

Frankfurt, Germany
Riga, Latvia
Liepaja, Latvia
Vilnius, Lithuania
Minsk, Belarus
Moscow, Russia
Ulan Ude, Buryatia, Russia
Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, Russia
Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia
Ekaterinburg, Urals, Russia
Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia
Antalya, Turkey
Istanbul, Turkey

and many cool, so-so and dumb places in-between!

I am tired, homesick and desperately in need of a laundromat and, god forbid, a pedicure. I'm not sure I can really find it in me to put these cloven hooves in front of another human being at this point, perhaps I'll just dangle them in a washing machine first. Oh yeah, a burrito, I seriously need one of those.

I thank all those who have read my misadventures, my extended stumbling-with-hands-waving through Eastern Europe Plus. The number of hits per day were staggeringly high somedays! I look forward to seeing all of you soon or at least sharing an email. Hopefully I will have gotten a haircut and gained some weight when we meet again.

Next: Munich, Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rod, we'll need to meet again in Vegas, soon. I want to hear all the stories that didn't make it into the blog. I will miss your prose and your wit, your entries have been quite the hit here at the office this slow slow summer. My assistant Nancy wants to be your literary agent, or something, so you have to phone her next time you're up in the Pacific Northwest. I plopped $50 in your tipjar, earmarked for a big jar of protein powder! Rob

7:05 PM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

I don't know what we'll all do now that you won't be blogging anymore. Now we won't have our almost-daily laugh at your random adventures. Have to find some other source of amusement I guess =]

9:36 PM GMT  
Blogger Jaime said...

Why are you going to all of those cities in the US?

1:19 AM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

Soooo, where are you now?

4:17 PM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

Washington!

2:52 AM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

Wow, you seem pretty excited about it, with the exclamation point and all.

3:22 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rod,

I am someone unknown to you who wishes to make 'The Ekaterinburg Post' website. Actually, I have started already. http://www.livejournal.com/users/ekbpost is the address. Tell me please, will you like to read it in case it will be permanent?

alexander.sokolov@gmail.com

11:36 AM GMT  
Blogger Jess said...

So are you still alive or what?

4:58 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home