Monday, August 21, 2006

A Temple for Helios

Flanked on three sides by canyon walls, the Garni sun temple is an eerie reminder of how long this part of the world has been populated. Built by King Trdates in the first century AD, the structure was erected in honor of Helios, the Roman god of the sun and was the site of many an animal sacrifice. Though Armenia was the first nation to convert to Christianity (in 303 AD), its pagan roots cannot be ignored -- indeed, just a few meters from the temple are the ruins of an ancient bathhouse where orgiastic partys were thrown as tribute to Emperor Nero.

Oddly enough, just ten kilometers down the dusty road, some of earth's oldest Christian relics still exist in cave-carved chapels and monasteries.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

mmmm...orgiastic parties, always a hit with the pagans.

9:56 PM GMT  
Blogger Big Dave said...

Well, I was pretty sure I knew what orgiastic meant but the form of the word threw me off so I looked it up - adjective form,

Meaning #1: used of frenzied sexual activity

Meaning #2: used of riotously drunken merrymaking

Hmmmm, oddly enough the first one makes me think of Lesley and the second one makes me think of Jeff - he always seems to be around (responsible for) all of my recent merrymaking. When I was younger I used to make a lot more merry but not so much any more.

BD

4:26 AM GMT  
Blogger rod said...

Okay you too. Keep it clean or get a room...

6:23 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home